Term 1 holiday review

In the holidays, I didn’t really do much but go to town every day because my mum had to get sponsors for something I’ll tell you about later. She dragged me to town every day. I hated it because I had nothing to do and so I went on my phone and watched on Netflix a lot and this caused me to lose a large percentage of data :(. Fast forward to Sat May 1st. It’s the big day of my taekwondo tournament. We’ve been preparing this for ages because this year our club was hosting the South Island Championships. We had to get up sooo early and I still need to survive a whole day. the thing that makes me the sleepiest the most are taekwondo tournaments. Not only was I sleepy but I was nervous because it was my first time doing patterns and I was up against good veterans, luckily I wasn’t the only one that was up against these superstars, I was with Emily and believe it or not but she was more nervous than me. She was my comrade and my enemy on the mat. You see we were both doing individuals and pairs”Could we please have Kimberly L/N*, Ferj L/N, Courtney L/N, Emily Chan and Benya Dogterom come to mat two.”, echoed the woman on the speakers( all from my club). I was nervous, so nervous that I could feel the heat from my body blazing when I clapped for the other contestants. The caller for the mat called me to the centre. I waited while the judge wrote the scores for the presentation of my uniform I tried to calm myself by staring at the purple line that was on the tv*. The mat caller signalled for me to get ready and… Go.

Once I finished my 2 patterns I could walk off and let the 13+ red belts do their patterns. Straight after was the pairs. There were 3 pairs all from our club. In the end, I got silver for individuals and gold for pairs and now I feel more confident doing patterns.

One thought on “Term 1 holiday review

1. That is a fantastic result Benya – I can understand you being nervous. So was your mum getting sponsors for the tournament? How many people attended?